Last updated: 4/28/2006 2:37:09 PMCalifornia Western -- William Lynch
William C. Lynch
Professor of Law
California Western School of Law
225 Cedar Street
San Diego, CA 92101-3090
phone: 619-239-0391, fax: 619-696-9999
Born: July 5, 1932, Salem, Massachusetts
Married: Three children
Languages: French (fluent), Spanish (translator)
- A.B., magna cum laude, Boston College, English Literature with Classical Languages minor, 1953.
- LL.B., Boston College Law School, 1956.
- LL.M., George Washington University Law School, Public International Law, 1968.
- LL.D., Honoris causa, California Western School of Law, 2000.
Professor of Law, California Western School of Law. Subjects taught: Evidence, Torts, Remedies, Conflict of Laws, Products Liability, Legal Method, Law of the Sea.
- 1995-1997: Associate Dean for Academic Affairs & Professor, California Western School of Law
- 1982-1995: Professor of Law, California Western School of Law
- Tenure granted August 1, 1982
- 1978-1982: Associate Professor, California Western School of Law
- 1973-1978: Adjunct Professor, University of San Diego School of Law
Twenty-two years as an officer in the Navy's Judge Advocate General's Corps. Held all ranks from Ensign to Captain. Retired in the rank of Captain in 1978.
Noteworthy Career Assignments
- 1962-1963 : Assistant Legal Adviser to the United States Mission to NATO, Paris, France
- 1968-1970: Legal Adviser to the Vice Chief of Naval Operations, Politico-Military Policy Division, OPNAV, Washington, D.C.
- 1970-1972: Special Assistant for Law of the Sea to Undersecretary of the Navy John Warner
- 1972-1973: Special counsel to Secretary of the Navy John Warner
- 1975-1977: Commanding Officer, U.S. Naval Legal Service Office, San Diego, California,
one of the Navy's two largest legal field activities
Service Honors and Awards
- 1970, 1978: Meritorious Service Medal, two awards
- 1971-1972: Executive Secretary to the United States Delegation to the
United States–U.S.S.R. Incidents at Sea negotiations
- 1972: Principal draftsman of the United States–U.S.S.R. Incidents at Sea Agreement
- 1972: Legion of Merit
- Massachusetts State Bar, 1956
- California State Bar, 1975
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Military Appeals
Professional Association Memberships
- Advisory Panel, University of Southern California Sea Grant Office
- American Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
The Law of the Sea and the Developing Countries: Cornucopia or Catastrophe? in THE LAW OF THE SEA: ISSUES IN OCEAN MANAGEMENT (Don Walsh ed., 1977) at 32.
"The Law of the Sea: An Obscure Drama," 17 Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies Review 1 (1972).
"The Nepal Proposal for a Common Heritage Fund: Panacea or Pipedream?" 10 California Western International Law Journal 25 (1980).
"Butz v. Economou and Federal Officials' Immunity: Much Ado About Nothing?" 59 Detroit Journal of Urban Law 281 (1982).
reviewing THE PREPARATION OF A PRODUCT LIABILITY CASE, by Baldwin, Hare and McGovern, in 19 California Western Law Review 403 (1983).
reviewing BRITAIN SINCE 1918, by Bentley B. Gilbert, in 12 California Western International Law Journal 231 (1982).
reviewing THE CHANGING UNITED NATIONS, by David Kay, in 9 California Western International Law Journal 1 (1979).
back to Professor Lynch's home page