Professor Noyes was a full-time member of the California Western faculty from 1982 to 2016. He also taught international law courses as a visiting professor at the University of Connecticut School of Law, Wake Forest University School of Law, Roger Williams University School of Law, Suffolk University Law School, Victoria University of Wellington (New Zealand), and the University of San Diego's Institute on International and Comparative Law (Oxford and Paris programs).
Noyes has been active in several international law organizations, serving as President (2008-2010) and Chair of the Executive Committee (2010-2014) of the American Branch of the International Law Association. He has co-authored leading law school textbooks on international law and the law of the sea, and is the author of more than 75 other books, book chapters, law review articles, and essays on the international law of the sea, international dispute resolution, and other topics. Noyes retired from the state bar of Connecticut, where he practiced law before entering academia.
- JD, University of Virginia
- BA, Amherst College [magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, history]
- Torts I
- Conflict of Laws
- International Law
- Law of the Sea
- Mark W. Janis & John E. Noyes, International Law And International Relations (2018).
- Mark W. Janis & John E. Noyes, Cases and Commentary on International Law (5th ed. 2014) (including a teacher’s manual).
- John E. Noyes, Kristen Juras & Erik Franckx, Cases And Materials On The Law Of The Sea (2d ed. 2014).
- Mark W. Janis & John E. Noyes, Cases and Commentary on International Law (4th ed. 2011) (including a teacher’s manual).
- Louis B. Sohn, Kristen Gustafson Juras, John E. Noyes & Erik Franckx, Law of the Sea in a Nutshell (2d ed. 2010).
- International Law Stories (John E Noyes et al. eds., 2007).
- John E. Noyes, The Territorial Sea and Contiguous Zone, in Oxford Handbook of the Law of the Sea 91 (Donald Rothwell et al. eds., 2015).
- John E. Noyes, Memorializing UNCLOS III, Interpreting the Law of the Sea Convention, and the Virginia Commentary, in Peaceful Order in the World's Oceans: Essays in Honor of Satya N. Nandan 218 (Myron Nordquist & Michael Lodge eds., 2014).
- John E. Noyes, The Common Heritage of Mankind: Past, Present, and Future, in Perspectives on International Law in an Era of Change 447 (Anjali Nanda & Alissa Mundt eds., 2012).
- John E. Noyes, Ships in Distress, in 9 Max Planck Encyclopedia of Pub. Int’l Law 17 (Rüdiger Wolfrum ed., 2012).
- John E. Noyes, Taft Arbitration Treaties (1911), in 9 Max Planck Encyclopedia of Pub. Int’l Law 743 (Rüdiger Wolfrum ed., 2012).
- John E. Noyes, Interpreting the 1982 Law of the Sea Convention and Defining Its Terms, in Definitions for the Law of the Sea: Terms Not Defined by the 1982 Convention 45 (George K. Walker ed., 2011).
- John E. Noyes, Unit Self-Defense at Sea: Views from the United States and the International Court of Justice, in The Exercise of Jurisdiction over Vessels: New Developments in the Fields of Pollution, Fisheries, Crimes at Sea and Trafficking of Weapons of Mass Destruction 185 (Erik Franckx & Philippe Gautier eds., 2010).
- John E. Noyes, Territorial Sea, in 4 The Oxford Encyclopedia of Maritime History 125 (John B. Hattendorf ed., 2007).
- John E. Noyes, The Caroline: International Law Limits on Resort to Force, in International Law Stories 263 (John E. Noyes et al. eds., 2007).
Book Review Essays
- John E. Noyes, Book Review, 31 Int'l J. Marine & Coastal L. 373 (2016) (reviewing Anthony P. Morrison, Places of Refuge for Ships in Distress (2012)).
- John E. Noyes, Book Review, Am J. Int'l Law (forthcoming 2015) (reviewing Hugh Thirlway, The Sources of International Law (2014)).
- John E. Noyes, Book Review, Am J. Int'l Law 191 (2012) (reviewing The Oceans in the Nuclear Age (David D. Caron & Harry N. Scheiber eds., 2010)).
Law Review Articles
- John E. Noyes, International Decision: In re Arbitration between the Philippines and China, 110 Am. J. Int’l L. 102 (2016).
- John E. Noyes, The Law of the Sea Convention and the United State of America, 47 Revue Belge de Droit International 15 (2014).
- John E. Noyes, The Common Heritage of Mankind: Past, Present, and Future, 40 Denv. J. Int’l L. & Pol’y 447 (2012).
- John E. Noyes, William Howard Taft and the Taft Arbitration Treaties, 56 Vill. L. Rev. 535 (2011).
- John E. Noyes, Judicial and Arbitral Proceedings and the Outer Limits of the Continental Shelf, 42 Vand. J. Transnat’l L. 1211 (2009).
- John E. Noyes, The United States and the Law of the Sea Convention: U.S. Views Concerning the Settlement of International Law Disputes in International Tribunals and U.S. Courts, 1 Berkeley J. Int’l L. Publicist 27 (2009),
- John E. Noyes, Justice Roger Traynor Professorship Acceptance, 39 Cal. W. Int’l L.J. 384 (2009).
- John E. Noyes, Louis B. Sohn and the Law of the Sea, 16 Willamette J. Int’l L. & Disp. Resol. 238 (2008).
- John E. Noyes, Places of Refuge for Ships, 37 Denv. J. Int’l L. & Pol’y 135 (2008).
- John E. Noyes, U.S. Policy and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, 39 Geo. Wash. Int’l L. Rev. 621 (2007).
- John E. Noyes, Definitions for the 1982 Law of the Sea Convention and the Importance of Context: “Ships” and Other Matters, 2007-2008 Proc. Am. Branch Int’l L. Ass’n 114, revised and reprinted in 2009-2010 Proc. Am. Branch Int’l L. Ass’n 240.
- John E. Noyes, Treaty Interpretation and Definitions in the Law of the Sea Convention, 2007-2008 Proc. Am. Branch Int’l L. Ass’n 94, revised and reprinted in 2009-2010 Proc. Am. Branch Int’l L. Ass’n 219.