Director of Access to Law Initiatives (ALI) & Profession Development
Access to Law Initiative
As the Director of ALI, Matthew manages all aspects of ALI and empowers entrepreneurial and public service-minded alumni to make a living while making a difference. A program for alumni pursuing solo, small-firm, or nonprofit entity practice, ALI provides critical training, support, and post-graduate education while providing access to law to underserved segments of the community. As the Director of Professional Development, Matthew works closely with the Assistant Dean and Associate Directors in the development and administration of the CPDO's professional development curriculum that is offered to students and graduates.
Prior to joining the CPDO in 2011, Matthew practiced law full time for more than nine years in both law firm and in-house corporate settings in the areas of business and real estate litigation and commercial transactions. He continues to serve as retained outside legal counsel for select local companies and teaches as an adjunct professor of business and real estate law in the Fowler College of Business at San Diego State University. He earned his J.D. at UC Hastings and holds a California Real Estate Broker's license.
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of Law
- B.A., San Diego State University [History]
- Lab, M.; Wolfe, D. (2022) Leveraging Contract Associations in Your Practice: Ethical Considerations. Continuing Legal Education Course, San Diego Public Law Library, May 6, 2022.
- Lab, M.; Wolfe, D.; Roepcke, D. (2021) Formation and Operation of a Solo Law Firm. University of California, Continuing Education of the Bar (“CEB”), November 5, 2021.
- Lab, M.; Atkinson, S.; Steffens, J. (2020) Transitioning from Pandemic to Practice, San Diego County Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education Course, September 8, 2020.
- Lab, M.; Wolfe, D. (2019) Solo and Small Law Practice Management – Formation. Continuing Legal Education Course, San Diego Public Law Library, May 11, 2019.
- Lab, M.; Wolfe, D. (2019) Solo and Small Law Practice Management – Operations. Continuing Legal Education Course, San Diego Public Law Library, May 12, 2019.
- Lab, M.; Wachmann, T.; McCoy, L. (2019) New Trends in Affordable Legal Services: Access to Justice Careers in the US and Canada. The National Association of Law Placement (“NALP”), National Conference, April 12, 2019.
- Lab, M. (2018) Lessons on Flying Solo. For the Record – San Diego County Bar Association
- Lab, M. (2016) Contract Attorneys – The New Normal? For the Record – San Diego County Bar Association
- Lab, M. (2014) A Few Comments on Social Media and Texting. For the Record – San Diego County Bar Association
- Lab, M. (2013) How to Make the Best Impression as a Law Clerk or New Associate. For the Record – San Diego County Bar Association
- Lab, M. (2013) The Art of the Follow Up. For the Record – San Diego County Bar Association
- Lab, M. (2013) The Rise and Appeal of Careers Outside of the Traditional Legal Practice. For the Record – San Diego County Bar Association
- Schaumann, N. (2019) Law Practice Management and Business Development, San Diego Lawyer Magazine (interview)
- Martinez, J. (2017) Some San Diegans Turning Backyards into Vineyards. KGTV ABC Channel 10 News (a jovial segment about my trek into amateur viticulture and winemaking): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqJCWkBVhCI
- Shields, S. (2015) New Attorneys Face Challenging Job Market in San Diego. The Daily Transcript (interview)